Bugel prosthesis are removable dentures that present a safe and reliable option for the patient. These removable prostheses consist of a gum-shaped plastic base on which the artificial teeth are accommodated and which is attached to a metal frame.
The bugel prosthesis got its name from the word “Bugel”, which comes from German and means “arch”. Actually, the bugel prosthesis have an arched shape.
If the care and hygiene of the prosthesis is correctly maintained and you take care to avoid causing it to rupture, it can have a lifespan of at least 10 years.
Broev Vladimir Rafaelovich
Головний лікар клініки; лікар-стоматолог загального профілю; стоматолог-хірург
Types of Bugel prosthesis
In reference to the method of fastening the bugel prostheses, we can find:
- Prosthesis with clammers. This type of support is simple and inexpensive, the open palate increases the comfort of use. In case of periodontitis, they act as a splint for the abutment teeth. Bugel protheses with “hooks” have a drawback: they “spoil” dental aesthetics.
- Prosthesis with locks. The bugel prosthesis with locks is distinguished by the absence of metal closures. Therefore, it has a more aesthetically appealing appearance: no metallic elements are visible from the outside. In relation to the prostheses with locks, they are even more expensive than the first ones described.
Contraindications for the placement of Bugel prosthesis.
This system can only be used for partial restoration of the jaw, since its fixation requires the presence of healthy teeth in the oral cavity. Among the main contraindications for the placement of bugel prostheses, we must emphasize the following ones:
- the presence of inflammatory and infectious pathological processes in the area of the periapical tissues of the teeth, in which the closures should be fixed.
- insufficient height of the abutment teeth.
- defective bite (malocclusion).
- shallow location of the fundus of the oral cavity.
- lack of natural support teeth.
Bugel prothesis price in our ID Dent clinic in Kiev.
Bugel protheses are priced higher than similar removable dentures made of plastic and nylon. This is due to the more laborious and complex manufacturing process, as well as the use of more expensive materials. The cost of a prosthesis depends on its type, the complexity of the design and the material used to create it. You can check the price in our Price List.